FAQs – Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas
How does the lawyer referral service work?
The Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas (LRS) has been assisting the public with legal issues since 1966. Our mission is to screen calls and email inquiries to determine what type of legal need you have and to get you to a place that may be able to help. Here is what we will do:
- We will ask you a series of questions determine what you need.
- We will explain how the LRS works (cost of legal fees, what to expect, other resources).
- If we determine you cannot afford a full fee lawyer, we will suggest other options.
- Other options may include a referral to a community service, Legal Aid, Travis County Law Library, or online resources.
- If we make a referral to one of our lawyers, we will continue to follow up with your referral until the legal work is completed.
How much does it cost?
It depends. The initial consultation is held in person or over the phone. In most cases, the fee is $20 for up to 30 minutes. If you exceed the 30 minute limit, you may be subject to the lawyer’s hourly rates which can vary depending on each attorney’s rates and the complexity of your legal issue. That $20 fee is donated back to the referral service to help with operating costs. The consultation is free for the following types of legal issues:
- Personal injury (includes Workers Compensation)
- Social Security Disability
If you are unsure about what type of lawyer you ask for, call the LRS office or submit an online request. Referral counselors will help you.
Why use the Lawyer Referral Service?
LRS is a non-profit, public service organization that is regulated by the State of Texas and certified by the State Bar of Texas. The award winning program has been serving Central Texans since 1966. Our mission is to help you find resources. Here are some advantages to using the Lawyer Referral Service:
- Lawyers are pre-screened and qualified.
- Lawyers are required to carry malpractice insurance and provide LRS with proof of insurance coverage.
- When a referral to a lawyer is made, LRS follows that referral from beginning to end.
- LRS will assist with complaints.
- The lawyers are “ranked’ by their experience level. That means if you have a complicated legal case, you will receive a referral to a lawyer who has experience to handle complicated issues.
What if I can’t afford a lawyer?
The Lawyer Referral Service has several Modest Means programs for those who cannot afford full legal fees. Here they are:
- Modest Means Family Law: a reduced fee program (not free) for uncomplicated family law issues. You must be screened for income eligibility. If an attorney referral is made, the lawyer will re-screen for eligibility.
- Modest Means for Simple Wills and Guardianship: a reduced fee program only for simple wills and uncontested guardianship.
- Military Veterans discounts: veterans receive a discount of up to 20% on legal fees for all types of legal issues including business law issues, real estate, family law, and more.
- LegalLine: this is a free legal advice program help on the first Tuesday of each month from 5:30 to 7:30 pm. Call (512) 456-9767 to ask simple legal questions.
- Limited Scope Family Law: This is a program for DIY family law. If you are representing yourself with a family law issue, lawyers can be hired to assist in a limited way. They can help with: Coaching, Reviewing documents, Discovery, Representing you in single hearings. You pay for the single tasks the attorney performs at their hourly rate.
How can I contact your legal consultants?
You can reach our referral counselors by calling (512) 456-9767 from Monday to Friday, CST, between 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. You can also fill out our contact form and we will take it from there. All contact and legal information remains confidential.
Have We Missed Your Question?
If you do not find an answer to your legal issue here, or need guidance to search for legal assistance in Texas, simply call (512) 456-9767 or (866) 337-8102. You can also submit an online request by filling out our contact form, and one of our experts will get back with you, as quickly as possible.